Antonio Martin Killed By Police

18-Year-Old Shot And Killed by Police Near Ferguson, Protest Erupts At Scene

Berkeley, MO– A teenager was shot and killed late Tuesday night by police at a gas station after police claimed the teen pointed a gun at an officer.

The young man, identified as 18-year-old Antonio Martin, allegedly pointed a firearm an an officer who is yet to be identified. Surveillance footage has been released by the St. Louis County Police.

The St. Louis Police released a statement regarding the video and the shooting:

“This video shows the suspect pointing a gun at the officer. More information on the incident: At approximately 11:15 PM on December 23, 2014, a police officer with the City of Berkeley was conducting a routine business check at the Mobile Gas Station located at 6800 N. Hanley when he observed two male subjects on the side of the building. The Berkeley Police Officer exited his vehicle and approached the subjects when one of the men pulled a handgun and pointed it at the officer. Fearing for his life, the Berkeley Officer fired several shots, striking the subject, fatally wounding him. The second subject fled the scene. The Berkeley Police Department requested the St. Louis County Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit to handle the investigation. St. Louis County Police Detectives have recovered the deceased subject’s handgun at the scene. At this time, I cannot confirm the identity of the deceased subject. The investigation is on-going and further details will follow as they become available.”

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said that the suspect “produced a pistol with his arm straight out, pointing it straight at the officer kind of from across the hood” and the officer fired “what we think is three shots.” Martin was pronounced dead at the scene, and his body was removed at 1:40 a.m. Wednesday morning. Police said that a loaded 9mm gun was found on the suspect. The officer who shot Martin was not wearing his issued body camera, and the dash camera of the police vehicle was not turned on.

Belmar said that this is the officer’s second use-of-force incident.

A protest ensued shortly after the incident at the scene of the shooting. St. Louis Today reported that hundreds of protesters congregated at the scene, and video footage has captured an explosion during the protest.

Police are currently looking for a second individual who was with Martin at the time of the shooting.