WASHINGTON D.C., September 15, 2014 – Today, former Deputy Assistant Secretary Raymond Maxwell dropped a Benghazi bombshell in a statement.
“What they were looking for is anything that made them look bad. That’s the way it was described to us,” said Chaffetz.
In his account, Maxwell claims that allies of Hillary Clinton removed potentially damaging documents before handing over files to the Accountability Review Board investigating the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi.
Maxwell, the former head of the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, told lawmakers an after hours session to separate documents took place over a weekend in a operations-type center at the State Department in Washington D.C.
Representative Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) confirmed Maxwell’s story. Chaffetz stated that Maxwell told him and other lawmakers his sum of events last year when he was privately interviewed in the aftermath of the attacks. At that time, according to Chaffetz, Maxwell claimed that Clinton’s chief of staff and deputy chief of staff oversaw the alleged weekend.
Maxwell claims that he was not invited to the after hours session, but walked in on the Sunday afternoon after hearing about it. He reportedly saw stacks of documents and a office director who worked for him. According to Maxwell, the director told him they had been instructed to go through files and pull out items that could put anybody in the NEA in a bad light.
These new allegations come two days before the House Select Committee on Benghazi is scheduled to open its first hearing. This is the first time Maxwell has gone public with his account. Chaffetz described Maxwell’s account as “consistent” throughout the whole time.