Tag Archives: James Foley

New political ads feature James Foley’s beheading

The video showing the beheading of American journalist James Foley is likely being used as part of the propaganda machine behind ISIS, but the group Secure America Now is also using the footage in their own political advertisements.

The conservative group used the footage as part of multiple campaigns meant to target vulnerable Democratic senators throughout the country.  One ad meant to target Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (N.H.), features the footage of Foley with a voice over saying, according to the Hill, “While radical Islamists threaten to attack America, and millions cross our border undetected, President Obama and Sen. Shaheen have done nothing.” 

John and Diane Foley, the parents of James, have come out against the use of their son’s final moments for advertisement purposes.  “I think it is deplorable, and I think it should be taken down,” said John Foley, according to Politicus USA.  Diane also commented on the ad saying, “It makes me very sad that people would use the brutality of our son’s death for their own political purposes.”

The head of Secure America Now, Allen Roth, originally defended the use of the footage for the group’s political ads, saying, according to Mediaite, “The image has appeared around the world millions of times… We meant no harm.”

However, after negative publicity from both political parties in New Hampshire and Foley’s parents, the ad was removed from online campaigns in New Hampshire.  Secure American Now released a statement to accompany the removal of the video which reads:

“It has been brought to our attention that a news report image of American hostage James Foley that appeared in a Secure America Now video has upset his parents, so we have decided to take the video down. The purpose of the video was to draw attention to Washington’s failure to secure our borders from real threats by terrorists. That remains our objective and we will continue to engage in this public debate.”

The ad is also reportedly being used in Louisiana, Colorado, and Arkansas to denounce Democratic senators who hold seats in each state.  Whether or not the ads featuring the footage of Foley have been taken down in those states has not yet been confirmed.

US Government Denies Threatening Foley Family

White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough denied accusations that the families of murdered journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff were threatened with prosecution if ransom was paid to terrorists to free the men.

Last week, Diane Foley, the mother of executed journalist James Foley, told the media that the federal government threatened to file lawsuits against her and her family if they raised money to pay the ransom for their son. Following Diane Foley’s claims, the family of Sotloff corroborated their story and said that they had faced the same threats from the government.

On Sunday McDonough gave several interviews to media outlets advocating the Obama administration’s strategies for fighting the Islamic State and denied that threats were made against the families. “We didn’t threaten anybody, but we made clear what the law is. That’s our responsibility to make sure we explain the law and uphold the law,” said McDonough.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Marie Harf said “It’s part of our job to help the family understand what our laws are about terrorists paying – or paying ransom to terrorists? Absolutely. But this Department would never and did not ever intend to nor do we think we ever did anything that we would consider threatening.”

McDonough and Harf made the denials despite ABC News reporting that five officials connected to Foley’s case confirmed that threats were made.

Government threatened Foley family before son’s execution

After a series of recent interviews, members of the Foley family have said the government threatened to prosecute their family if they had raised and paid the money for the ransom sought for the life of their son, James Foley.

According to ABC News, Diane Foley, the mother of James, said they were threatened with lawsuits multiple times if they had gone through with paying the ransom.  “We were told that several times and we took it as a threat and it was appalling.”

Diane then said a highly decorated military officer, who serves on the National Security Council, came to their house to warn them about the pending prosecutions.

“Three times he intimidated us with that message,” said Diane.  “We were horrified he would say that. He just told us we would be prosecuted. We knew we had to save our son, we had to try.”

A current NSC member said the military officer who went to the Foley house had, “no business,” talking to the family and these discussions were “idiotic.”  This same current NSC member said the officer was unqualified to discuss legal issues and should have stayed away from the family.

Michael Foley, James’s brother, confirmed these accusations against the government with FOX News.

“I was specifically threatened by the Department of State about raising funds towards ransom demands for my brother,” said Michael.  “[The government] were actually an impedance… We were smart enough to look past it but it slowed us down.”

Diane also told CNN, she was told to have faith her son would be freed and be safe.  “We were just told to trust that he would be freed somehow, miraculously… And he wasn’t, was he?”

National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden did defend the position of prosecuting the Foley family.  “Without getting into the details of our private discussions with families,” said Hayden, “the law is clear that ransom payments to designated individuals or entities, such as ISIL [ISIS], are prohibited. It is also a matter of longstanding policy that the U.S. does not grant concessions to hostage takers.”

UN Ambassador: Obama releasing details of failed Foley rescue from ISIS is security breach

WASHINGTON, August 23, 2014– Information is now being released to the public detailing the Obama administration’s attempted rescue of reporter James Foley and other hostages, but proving the mission to be a failure. The news continues to damage the administration’s credibility given their track record with Benghazi and other scandals such as the IRS, the NSA, the VA, etc.

Former Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton spoke with Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren about how the release of information to the public on the failed mission amounts to a “breach of security.”

WATCH HERE:

Follow Michael Lotfi on Facebook & Twitter.