The U.S. Justice Department released four new, heavily censored documents, previously embargoed from the public eye about the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. According to the Miami Herald, the documents confirm that by 2002 the FBI had found “many connections” between 9/11 terrorists and the Florida family of “an allegedly wealthy international businessman” with ties to the Saudi Royal family.
“On or about 8/27/01 his family fled their house in Sarasota leaving behind valuable items in a manner indicating they left quickly without prior preparation,” said an FBI “case narrative” written on April 16, 2002.
The businessman’s name is blanked out, but it’s actually included on another page. Esam Ghazzawi, his name, is included on another page — an FBI form that accompanied a piece of evidence.
This is the first time the government has confirmed Ghazzawi’s name in the FBI investigation that has yet to be disclosed to either the 9/11 Commission or congressional investigators.
Advisor to a senior Saudi prince, Ghazzawi, owned an upscale home in Sarasota with his daughter and her husband prior to 9/11.
“Law enforcement sources have said that after 9/11 investigators found evidence — telephone records and photographs of license tags and security gate log books — showing that hijack pilot Mohamed Atta, former Broward resident and fugitive al Qaeda leader Adnan Shukrijumah and other terror suspects had visited the home. The home is about 10 miles from the Venice airport, where Atta and the two other hijack pilots trained,” reported the Herald.
The pages were released in part do to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by BrowardBulldog.org after the FBI refused to release information about the matter.